Thursday, October 11, 2012

GSpark Reviews: Open Sourcing

I knew that Linux was a good OS for open source development, but I didn't know that it started out as open source software. This means that, as a user, I can give advice on a feature it'd be nice to have, point out a bug in the system, or suggest a way to make it more efficient. Best of all... the developers might even listen to me and try to implement my suggestion. Of course, someone else can come in and complain about that idea, if it gets implemented, and ask them to take it out, but that's the beauty of open sourcing! No one knows more about good software than the customer (remember, the customer is always right!), so if the users are the testers, there will inevitably be one person that brings his/her own solution to a certain problem, and it might be exactly what is needed to improve the software. Listen to the user, and you may end up with the best software in history.

---------------

My review for Pokemon should be coming very soon. Stay tuned! Waving out!

--Gemini $park

3 comments:

  1. The customer is not always right, and developers know a good deal more about good software than the customer. I do agree that generally speaking, software developers need to be better about incorporating feedback from users, but there is an amazing opportunity for the developer to create something that is better than what the customer expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, we should be friends! I love all the things you say in your about me, and I have the new Pokemon but no time to play it yet! I'll watch out for your Pokemon review coming up.

    Secondly, there is a balance between listening to customers and delivering them something awesome. I've always wondered what would happen with a video game that was completely open source. I wonder if it could even exist. It gets tricky when the software is more expressive than functional though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, valid points, guys! It's true, most users don't really know all the ins and outs to software development, but the few that do and aren't involved with development directly can really make a difference if allowed the chance to provide their input. Also, open source video games would be an interesting idea, if not feasible right now.

    I still need to get through BW1 before I get myself into BW2... and I also need to review Gen 1 of Pokemon! >_<

    ReplyDelete