Sunday, December 5, 2010

GSpark Reviews: Megaman Battle Network 3

And here's my third review!  This continues my review of Megaman Battle Network, but I'll wait a little before reviewing 4, 5, and 6.  I have to move on to other stuff because I don't want to cover just a video game series with this blog.  Anyway, here's Megaman Battle Network 3!


Installment #3 to the series is the first of it to have two versions, Blue and White.  The only two differences between each version are that one of them has an extra optional boss to battle, and each version has a Style Change specific to that version (Bug Style for Blue, Ground Style for White).  And yes, the Style Changes return for Battle Network 3.  WWW also returns as the crime organization for Lan and Megaman to stop, this time from having the internet eat itself. (You’ll understand as you go deeper into the plot.)  And the new feature?  The Navi Customizer allows you to install programs into Megaman that can enhance him the way you want.  You can increase the ability to rapid-fire, have a barrier at the start of every battle, whatever floats your boat.

Megaman battles the final boss, Alpha.  Sorry for the spoiler!
Strengths: They did a very good job with the animation, and I would argue that the battle animation in this game is the best in the series.  The transitions are smooth, and there are some interesting sprites in the game.  They also broke the Battle Chips up into Standard, Mega, and Giga Class chips for the first time in this game.  You now feel a sense of accomplishment by getting those rare chips (even though half of them are worthless, IMO).  Also, BASS.  That’s all I’ll say.
Weaknesses: With the return of Style Changes comes the return of the problems associated with Style Changes.  It’s hard to know what style you get until you get it, but it’s even worse now than it was back in BN2 because you only get one Style Change at a time.  Also, I haven’t been able to get the two version-specific Style Changes, which could either say something about how extremely hard it is to get them or how lazy I am to find out how to get them, take your pick.
It’s so hard to find some of the third-version bosses; even if you can understand the clues certain people give you to find them, there may be another condition to be met before you encounter that boss.  Also, BUBBLEMAN.  That’s all I’ll say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with that, I will be venturing out of Megaman Battle Network for a while and pick it back up another time.  In two days time, look forward to hearing my review of an anime!  Specifically, I'll be looking at Naruto/Naruto Shippuden.  I hope to please its fans with this one, especially since I'm a fan myself!  'Til then, I'm waving out!

--Gemini $park

No comments:

Post a Comment